Town of Randolph History
At a meeting of the county board, held April 20th, 1858, the town of Richmond was formed, and so named in honor of John Richmond, the first settler within its limits. It consisted of all in the county of township 112, range 18 west. The meeting for the election of town officers was appointed May 27th, 1858, at the schoolhouse in district No. 29. At a session of the county board held September 18th, 1858, it was found necessary to change the name of the new town, as there was another Richmond in the state. It was decided to call the town Wheatland. At the next session of the board, held October 30th, 1858, the state authorities sent notice that the name of the town must again be changed, as Wheatland was a town in Rice County. D. B. Hulbert, an admirer of the Virginia statesman, John Randolph, suggested that his distinguished surname be given to the town. Randolph was accordingly adopted. On the 11th day of May, 1858, the legal voters met at the house of D. B. Hulbert, on section 9, for the purpose of duly organizing the town, according to the provisions of the state legislature enacted in 1857-‘8. D. B. Hulbert was elected moderator, and J. L. Armington, clerk. The name of the town was voted on, and Richmond received a majority of the votes cast. This was all the recorded business. At the next meeting, May 27th, 1858, D. B. Hulbert, Ara Barton, and Richard Morrill were constituted judges of election, and J. L. Armington, clerk. Town officers were then balloted for, with the following result: Ara Barton. D. B. Hulbert, Richard Morrill, supervisors; J. L. Armington, clerk: Levi C. Hillman and William Velie, justices; Samuel Eddy, assessor; J. S. Sheppard, collector, J. S. Sheppard, and H. Il. Velie, constables; Charles Curran, overseer of poor; Noah Kendall, road-master.
Information excerpt from: HISTORY OF DAKOTA COUNTY AND THE CITY OF HASTINGS, INCLUDING THE EXPLORERS AND PIONEERS OF MINNESOTA BY REV. EDWARD D. NEIL AND OUTLINES OF THE HISTORY OF MINNESOTA, BY J. FLETCHER WILLIAMS. MINNEAPOLIS: NORTH STAR PUBLISHING COMPANY,1891.